HOW TO: Compression Test

Any modifications or write-up generic to all generations - including I.C.E.
infamouz
Admin
Admin
HOW TO: Compression Test

Post by infamouz »

Please note: This compression test was performed on a 5th gen honda prelude (1997-2001)

Tools needed:
  • ratchet
  • 5/8" spark plug socket
  • 5/8" regular socket
  • compression tester (can be gotten from autozone for $25)
Time: approximately 20 minutes

First thing to do is remove the fuel pump fuses, which are in the panel to the left of the rest pedal. In the pic below the two fuses are circled in blue. The bottom fuse is actually suppose to be 15 amps, but for some reason someone put in a 7.5. I've circled the fuse remover in red.

Below I circled the fuses in the diagram. You can see this when you remove the cover.

Next you will remove one of the spark plug wires like so...

Now remove the spark plug using an extension and a 5/8" spark plug socket.

And your socket... Notice the rubber piece that holds the plug as you pull it up.

Screw in your compression tester hand tight.

Now you will get your compression reading. Turn the key as if you are cranking the car and hold it for about 5-8 seconds. After this you will crank it in short 2-3 second bursts. You will do this about 10-15 times. If you've got someone helping you, tell them to let you know when the pressure stops rising. Be sure you do not stop too early so that you don't get bad/false readings. Here is a pic after a test...

Once you get the reading you will release the pressure by hitting the black button on the side of the tester. I've got this circled in the 2nd pic above.

Remove the compression tester and put your spark plug back in. When putting the plug back in do not use the socket with the rubber inside. More than likely your socket will get stuck on the plug and you won't be able to get it off. So just use a regular 5/8" socket to reinstall the plug. Once you get it hand tight, give it a 1/8 turn with the ratchet. Put your plug wire back in and your done with that cylinder. Repeat these steps for the other 3 cylinders.

Pretty basic procedures, but I thought that just maybe this could help a few people out. Even went to the trouble of drawing circles and an arrow.

----------
Courtesy of Boosted521 via PreludePower
In a world full of copies, be an original.
Graphic Design: Indezyne | Rare Prelude Parts: InfamouzJDM

Return to “General”