Official: What did I do to the prelude today?

CPC, Preludes & General car talk
infamouz
Admin
Admin
Official: What did I do to the prelude today?

Post by infamouz »

One of the most active topics found on any forum revolves around knowing what you have done to your car lately, in this case - Prelude. Let us know what you've worked on - whether it's something small or big, let's keep each other posted!

What have you done to your prelude today?
In a world full of copies, be an original.
Graphic Design: Indezyne | Rare Prelude Parts: InfamouzJDM
blck.prl.lude
AB Leader
AB Leader
Re: Official: What did I do to the prelude today?

Post by blck.prl.lude »

My Prelude is still parked in the garage. All I've done over the winter was install a new headlight harness to convert the negative-switched high beam circuit into a positive-switched high beam circuit to work with my aftermarket LED headlights.
I used a high quality conversion harness from Amazon. Because of the age of the vehicle, I had to re-pin the stock sealed beam headlight plugs to work with an H4 plug, but that's just a matter of swapping the position of 2 pins.

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean by this:
On older Hondas, the low and high beams are controlled by switching which ground is active in the headlight plug, whereas most American cars and therefore universal aftermarket headlights have two separate positive wires to toggle between low and high beam. The conversion harness plugs into the stock connector and contains two relays to convert the two toggling ground wires of the stock car into two toggling positive wires that are accepted by the led headlights. This is basically the only way to get around this problem.

The high beam switch also relies on the electrical load of a halogen bulb to function, so you may also have problems with high beams on LED's not working with your old Honda because LED's create much less load than an older halogen bulb. For this you can use a load resistor so long as you mount it in a safe spot with a lot of area for the heat to spread, as the thing is going to get bloody hot. In my case, the conversion harness provided the electrical resistance necessary to make the high beam switch function.

Conversion Harness: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07M6W1PMK/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's the story on how I ended up with these lights:
When I purchased this car, it had already had the sealed beam headlights replaced with Halogen housings with separate bulbs, however the sealant used on these housings was not very good and I had water pooling up inside. I baked open the headlights and resealed them with butyl glue, and then dropped and smashed one of them when I was reinstalling. There were only a FEW MORE DAYS until the Prelude was to appear in Driven Edmonton 2020 and no where in town had any halogen housings for headlights. No where online could ship in time. At the last store I checked, they did not have halogen housings but they did have thes LED array headlights. I'm not crazy about how they look when the lights are not on, but it was my only option. One day I plan on replacing them with another LED array unit but styled black instead of chrome on the back plate.

2013 CR-Z 6 Speed | 1986 Prelude 2.0Si
IG: blck.prl.lude / james.conroy.17
infamouz
Admin
Admin

Post by infamouz »

blck.prl.lude wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:11 pm
The headlights actually look pretty badass. Unique though - since i haven't seen anyone else rocking it
blck.prl.lude
AB Leader
AB Leader

Post by blck.prl.lude »

When they are turned on I think it looks awesome! Only when they're off it looks a little funky, but they're pop ups so not much of a provlem 🤣

I was told the top leds are angled down and the bottom ones are angled up, which gives the low and high beams. I have seen a couple posts with 2nd and 3rd gens using them since its a universal size and everyone in the comments always seems to love them.

Imranbb6

Post by Imranbb6 »

Thats awesome will be matching in spring I only got the sides / rear using oem front 😄
infamouz
Admin
Admin

Post by infamouz »

You have to take a pic of this at night and have that orange led light up the white accents. Looks great!
SilverBullet_01

Post by SilverBullet_01 »

nothing yet - but soon gonna take the car cover off :lol:
Preludejunky

Post by Preludejunky »

Today I installed a double din radio with apple car play. Honestly it fits pretty good and works well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blck.prl.lude
AB Leader
AB Leader

Post by blck.prl.lude »

Makes me want to check mine o.O

blck.prl.lude
AB Leader
AB Leader

Post by blck.prl.lude »

I've had to isolate myself for the next 14 days after my co-worker got the VID-19. The start of this season has been tough for the Prelude. My gf's uncle ignited a whole bunch of spilled gasoline in the garage working on a motorbike, right next to my Prelude. : :shock:
There was a temporary inferno and I had to run down the back alley to get to the back garage door so I could get the car out in time. It was covered in soot and I was so lucky to get it out without any damage.

Anyway, now that I have some free time, I finally got around to putting the new thermostat in my B21a1 swapped 2nd gen. Its always seemed to take a long time to heat up and the temp gauge never goes very high when driving. Once you start idling, it will slowly creep up but still never reach halfway. Being a 3rd gen engine, I was still able to get an OEM thermostat from Honda. They shipped it to Alberta from Montreal overnight :D I took out the old aftermarket stat that the original swap owner put in trying to fix the same issue.

This OEM thermostat seems to have helped a little bit as the engine heats up faster, fans come on at idle, and I'm getting a lot more heat out of the vents, however, the temp gauge still isn't reading higher than this. This engine is definitely at operating temp... I'm thinking either the cluster gauge is bad, or if the 3rd gen coolant temp sensor and ECU aren't controlling the cluster properly.

Slickpete83

Post by Slickpete83 »

was cleaning the Prelude today , getting ready to sell it after 16 years of ownership , it just keeps going and going and I always feel bad about trying to sell it , I know if I don't sell it I'll keep driving it for another 16 years lol...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
infamouz
Admin
Admin

Post by infamouz »

Slickpete83 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:34 pm was cleaning the Prelude today , getting ready to sell it after 16 years of ownership , it just keeps going and going and I always feel bad about trying to sell it , I know if I don't sell it I'll keep driving it for another 16 years lol...
Hopefully you can squeeze in a few more meets/cruises if you're thinking about selling it. It's been a while since i saw this vehicle.
Slickpete83

Post by Slickpete83 »

infamouz wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:48 am
Slickpete83 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:34 pm was cleaning the Prelude today , getting ready to sell it after 16 years of ownership , it just keeps going and going and I always feel bad about trying to sell it , I know if I don't sell it I'll keep driving it for another 16 years lol...
Hopefully you can squeeze in a few more meets/cruises if you're thinking about selling it. It's been a while since i saw this vehicle.
yeah Visa , I should have kept until after summer for the CPC cruises, , but after posting it and getting overwhelming number of replies , i think it will sell fast , didn't realize the demand out there for Preludes , I must have priced it too low lol..., I'll make sure to tell whom ever buys it about CPC
5thGenShawn

Post by 5thGenShawn »

Since nobody has posted anything in this section for awhile I'll try to kick start it again. Here's what I've been up to. The dreaded rusty quater panel repair. The pictures don't do it much justice but it is coming along well.

Return to “General Discussion”