Hello from Red Deer! - My Prelude Story

blck.prl.lude
AB Leader
AB Leader
Hello from Red Deer! - My Prelude Story

Post by blck.prl.lude »

Hello! My name is James Conroy and I am a proud Prelude enthusiast here in Central Alberta. I will be leading the Alberta forum for CPC and thought I would take the time to tell you my Prelude Story!

For me, it all started in 2016. I had just gotten my first car, a 2003 Accord V6. At the time, I didn't know too much about cars or Hondas, but I quickly grew to love the car and learn about the history of the brand. During May Long weekend, my Accord hydroplaned on the highway due to a mix of horrendous conditions and bald tires. While searching for a replacement vehicle, I remembered an old advertising poster I saw in my local Honda dealership. It read along the lines of, "CIVIC: Our economic option. ACCORD: our luxury vehicle. PRELUDE: Our sports car."

In 2001 when the Prelude was discontinued, I was only 2 years old, so I had heard the name Prelude before, but never really looked into what it was. I began researching the history of this forgotten Honda model and browsing local listings. I became obsessed with this sports coupe and amazed at how cheap you could find them! Here in Red Deer, there was only ever 3 or 4 listed, but being so close to both Edmonton and Calgary, I began looking there. After several months and multiple road trips test driving over 15 Preludes, I decided to purchase a completely stock 2001 Prelude SE, 5 spd in Electron Blue Pearl.

First photo I took of my first Prelude
A few Prelude friends I made here in Red Deer.

I never had much money for mods, but I did do some of the basics, including AEM v2 Intake, APEXi N1 Catback Exhaust (sounded heavenly, but obnoxious!) Painted valve cover, full speaker and subwoofer setup, OEM lip kit, and a complete interior LED retrofit.

Somewhere along the line, I wanted to be able to park my 5th gen during winter to slow down the typical Canadian rust it came with, as I could never afford to fix it. I became very interested in the retro Preludes and started the search for a 3rd gen winter beater! I ended up finding a 1991 SR 2ws in Edmonton almost a year later for only $2,000. It was very sound mechanically, but was rusting from the frame out to the body. I only drove this car for one summer and winter, then sold it when I bought a 2013 CR-Z to replace it as a daily. But I always felt a missing retro-prelude shaped piece in my heart after the sale. I still had my 5th gen, but after 4 years of maturing, my tastes were beginning to change.

My 5th gen prelude was getting very close to 300,000km, and the rust getting worse every month. I began to have some anxiety over what I was going to do with the car. One day in May 2020 when I was laying in bed, a friend sent me a 13 minute old for sale post from a local Facebook group that I was not in.
"1986 Prelude 2.0Si B21 Swap, Lowered on custom Integra Coils, Calgary AB"
I took a quick look through the ad, and seeing as the asking price was almost the same as what I knew I could sell my 5th gen for, I messaged the seller as quickly as possible and set up a test drive. As soon as I laid eyes on the car, I was sold. It is so rare to find a car like this in Alberta, let alone any 2nd generation prelude which I had always loved. Within 20 hours of first seeing the listing, the seller and I had agreed on a sale price and I was the proud new owner! I was now faced with the task of selling my blue 5th gen, something that years earlier, I hoped I'd never have to do. It has gone to a new owner in Edmonton, AB who had serious interest in fixing up the rust and other blemishes and turning that car into something truly beautiful!

If you are from Alberta, you may have seen my 2nd gen Prelude at Driven Autoshow Edmonton 2020! A friend convinced me to apply to be in the show and to my surprise, I actually got in! With only a week until the show, I started work on doing a paint correction, ceramic coating, and some repainting of peeling trim. I got the ready just in time for the show! It was a very amazing experience and I feel very honored to own such a special car worthy of a prestigious auto show, alongside the top builds in Canada!

My Prelude right after I finished ceramic coating the paint with CQuartz UK 3.0
My Prelude at Driven Autoshow Edmonton 2020 beside a Civic Type-R

The viewing and test drive of the 2nd gen, the morning after first seeing the ad listing.

I am excited for this new chapter in Canadian Prelude Club's life and I am looking forward to meeting new Prelude lovers here in Alberta! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

2013 CR-Z 6 Speed | 1986 Prelude 2.0Si
IG: blck.prl.lude / james.conroy.17
infamouz
Admin
Admin
Re: Hello from Red Deer! - My Prelude Story

Post by infamouz »

I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. I kind of wish you held onto the 5th gen as well. Looking forward to meeting you and the lude soon. Too bad we weren't able to meet up when i was in AB last year.
In a world full of copies, be an original.
Graphic Design: Indezyne | Rare Prelude Parts: InfamouzJDM

Return to “General Discussion”